Friday, September 21, 2007

If that's what you're into

So, I decided to compile a list of things that I'm currently digging on. I've always enjoyed those short segments in magazines that ask celebrities what albums they're currently into. I've seen the same thing done with TV shows, books, magazines, movies, etc. The reason I enjoy these is twofold- it gives you a glimpse into the personality of the celebrity ("Hey, Viggo Mortensen likes Outkast! Me too!") and if the celeb has eclectic tastes it also encourages you to try out new things that you might not have been motivated to check out otherwise.

So while I'm not a celebrity, hopefully my tastes are interesting enough that it makes for good reading. If it works out well, I'll make this a regular thing.

Song I'm listening to right now... like right this second: Green Day - Scattered. This is one of those songs that I just don't think I'll ever get sick of, which is a very short list. The lyrics are also feeling really relevant to me right now.

Book I'm reading: I like to mix it up and have two books going at once - one fiction and one non-fiction. This way if I'm not in the mood to be bombarded with facts, I can pick up the fiction and get lost in a tale. Currently I'm working on Made to Stick by Chip and Dale Heath and A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khalid Hosseini. Made to Stick takes an idea revolving around how certain messages become "sticky" from Malcolm Gladwell's Tipping Point and builds a whole book off of it. It's basically a bible on effective communication. It's not nearly as well-written as Gladwell's material and it's not really a page turner, but a good book nonetheless. A Thousand Splendid Suns is the follow-up to Hosseini's smash-hit Kite Runner, which I really enjoyed.

Last DVD I bought: Casino Royale. Not a huge Bond fan, but this movie just reeks of cool and I think it has a lot to do with Daniel Craig, who should be brought back for any subsequent Bond films. It's also nice to see Bond in his early days when he's a little rough around the edges.

Current favorite YouTube clip: Cody Paul. Can't get over this kid. I feel bad for the defenders that he breaks off. Even though I'm THIS close to creating him as a character in Madden, I can't say for sure that he's really gonna live up to the hype. When I played Pop Warner, my team had a nasty short running back like that and I think a lot of his success had to do with his low-center of gravity. I think Cody's gonna have his first growth spurt and just be another white running back- translation, not good.

Website that I check every day even though it updates about twice a month: Perry Bible Fellowship - this comic was in the Syracuse University newspaper and the site has all the old comics and new ones on a semi-regular basis. Very funny. (click to view larger version)
Favorite new-ish album: Spoon - Ga Ga Ga Ga Ga. Better than Kanye, better than The White Stripes, this album is filled with some very catchy rock that has a unique personality. Putting the alternative back in alternative rock.

TV show that I always Tivo, but never watch: Human Weapon. I wrote about this one DHMP a while back. Every time I watch it I enjoy it, but I'm probably backlogged at least 5 weeks.

TV show that I'm most excited for the return of this Fall: 30 Rock. It shocked the world when it won best comedy at the Emmy's, but that's because the world has never seen it. I hope modest ratings don't force this show to go the way of Arrested Development. It masters the blending of satire and slapstick humor the same way The Simpsons did in it's prime. I'm also really excited for Friday Night Lights, which may not last very long either. Heroes needs to do something really cool to get me interested again.


New TV show that I'm most excited for: Nothing. Kid Nation looks groundbreaking and controversial and Pushing up Daisies could be cool, but last season was so flooded with shows that instantly became favorites, this season is bound to be a letdown. Also, I saw the first episode of K-Ville... so far Alex's evaluations are dead on. It was completely unwatchable.

Sport I currently hate: Baseball. Red Sox suck, my fantasy team sucks... ugh. I wish I could just focus on football... but I'll never be able to just forget about the baseball. I think it's coded into my DNA.

Band that I never skip when listening to my iPod on shuffle: Ted Leo and the Pharmacists. Little known band. Epic songs. Boushbag introduced me to them because his dad's friend is the lead singer's dad. Ted Leo is an extremely talented songwriter. Apparently he's been asked to write a number of Broadway musicals, but has declined.

Favorite magazine subscription: Fast Company. Fresh young take on the business world with exciting news on technology, the internet, and cool new products and companies. I usually read it within a day or two of getting it. The company I work for was actually just featured in it too...

Movie I'm most excited to see: The Kingdom. This just looks like a well-made film. It's got the cast, the director (guy from Smokin' Aces), the relevant plot and the budget. Not a sure thing, but a good bet. Eastern Promises and 3:10 to Yuma look slick too.

Favorite day of the week: Friday. It's Friday today. The day is winding to a close and I can't wait to get the weekend started right with happy hour... many hours of happiness. It's gonna be an effin' rad weekend. So on that note, I'm gonna finish up. Have a good weekend y'all.

No comments: