I was f*cking around with my iPod this morning in a fit of boredom and inability to to sleep and was skimming through the music videos that I've acquired through iTunes album purchases. They all sucked. There's no effort put into music videos these days. They seem to be a blur of lipsyncing and vanity, consisting of numerous closeups of the best looking member of the band.
Then I got to the last one on my list: Velvet Revolver - She Builds Quick Machines. There's hope after all. First off, I applaud this video because they actually created a relatively detailed plot to tie into the song... and it ties in well! Thinking back, all of my favorite videos - perfect examples being Everlong by the Foo Fighters and even Thriller by MJ - do this and I feel like it's rare in this day and age. Call me crazy, but I'd venture as far as to say that I'd watch a feature length film extension of the Velvet Revolver video. It'd be quirky as hell and trippier than a movie about Hunter S. Thompson, but probably entertaining.
The production value is high, the cinematography is interesting and the characters are cool. I don't quite understand the David Bowie appearance and I really doubt he could knock anyone out with one punch, but Scott Weiland really actually makes for a convincing badass Clint Eastwood-y cowboy when he takes some time off from bootin' black tar heroin (he even kind of reminds me of James Anderson, the main character of the smash hit Lucas Arts western shoot 'em up computer game, Outlaws, with that chinstrap beard). To top it all off, Slash follows the rest of the gang around in his usual garb, playing some kickass guitar riffs, smoking a butt and occasionally stepping in to piledrive a henchman or two.
Kudos to Velvet Revolver- the new album Libertad (sorry Moses) may not be quite as infectious as the self-titled effort, but they managed to make a kickass video.
Tuesday, September 4, 2007
I want my MTV
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment