Well, friends, it seems 2007 is drawing to a close. To honor this unique and momentous occasion, I began to write a "Top Ten Albums of 2007" blog, but in all honesty there were only about 6 albums on it. My second draft of the blog was expanded to include selections from '06 (since I didn't write a Top Ten last year), but it felt a bit convoluted (including things like Gnarls Barkley and Pearl Jam that I haven't listened to in months). So, instead I give you:Ten Bands/Artists Scott, Jim, Alex, Doug & Tad Should Start Listening To
(if they haven't already).
In alphabetical order.
(if they haven't already).
In alphabetical order.
1. Band of Horses

Why? Because they're awesome. A good old fashioned rock band with southern inflections, these guys write infectious melodies and their singer has a really really long beard. Plus they have a song called "Detlef Schrempf." I'm serious.
Sounds like a cross between: Jane's Addiction and The Shins...with just one ounce of Seattle.
Standout tracks: Is There A Ghost, Funeral, Ode to LRC, The First Song, Islands on the Coast.
Recommended album: Cease to Begin.
2. Sam Bisbee

Why? Because he's cool and our paths are forever intertwined in the NYC music scene. His live show is superb and these albums are a perfect blend of pop sensibilities with rock integrity.
Sounds like a cross between: Ben Folds, Mike Doughty and Weezer.
Standout tracks: You Are Here, Oxygen, Miracle Car, Age of Consent, Breaking.
Recommended album: High.
3. Mike Doughty
Why? Because two years ago I wrote an entire
"top ten albums of '05" list just so that I could include him as #1. His record is that good. And he's got a new one coming out in February.Sounds like a cross between: Beck, Pete Yorn and Dave Matthews (but good...really good).
Standout tracks: Looking at the World from the Bottom of a Well, Ways & Means, Madeline and Nine, The Only Answer, I Just Want the Girl in the Blue Dress to Keep on Dancing.
Recommended album: Haughty Melodic (which, incidentally, is an anagram for his name).
4. Matthew Good

Why? Because I just can't stop listening to him. Between "Matthew Good Band" and his solo albums, I have almost 9 hours of his music on my computer...and I never get sick of it.
Sounds like a cross between: Early Radiohead, Smashing Pumpkins, Our Lady Peace, Pearl Jam...this is very "90's Rock" influenced but his songwriting and voice are so unique that it doesn't sound formulaic.
Standout tracks: Hello Time Bomb, Apparitions, 99% of Us is Failure, Flashdance 2, Pledge of Allegiance.
Recommended album: Beautiful Midnight (MGB), Avalanche (solo).
5. The Hold Steady

Why? Because they're fun.
Sounds like a cross between: Bruce Springsteen and The Mighty Mighty Bosstones at a frat party.
Standout tracks: Stuck Between Stations, Massive Nights, You Can Make Him Like You, Chillout Tent, Southtown Girls.
Recommended album: Boys & Girls in America.
6. The National

Why? Because they've got this vibe...that's pleasantly depressing and saddeningly uplifting.
Sounds like a cross between: The Killers, U2 and the soft disc of Foo Fighters "In Your Honor."
Standout tracks: Fake Empire, Mistaken For Strangers, Apartment Story, Squalor Victoria, Brainy.
Recommended album: Boxer.
7. Neutral Milk Hotel

Why? Because this is one of the greatest albums ever recorded. And the band barely lasted long enough to get it done, let alone tour and become the superstars they could've been. It's ten year anniversary is coming up, and I think you all should celebrate by buying it and becoming obsessed.
Sounds like a cross between: Heaven and hell.
Standout tracks: The King of Carrot Flowers Parts 1-3, Holland 1945, Communist Daughter, Ghost.
Recommended album: In The Aeroplane Over The Sea.
8. Pela

Why? Because they're about to blow up and you don't want to be the last kid on the block to know what's up. I'm serious. Mark it down.
Sounds like: If U2 were formed in 2004 as a bunch of twenty-somethings in Brooklyn and played raucous Indie-rock.
Standout tracks: Waiting On The Stairs, Lost To The Lonesome, Tenement Teeth, Rooftops, Latitudes.
Recommended album: Anytown Graffiti.
9. Soul Coughing

Why? Because before he went solo, Mike Doughty had a kickass band, and somehow I completely missed them (except for that weird "Super Bon Bon" song).
Sounds like: Well, it's like if Mike Doughty had a band. And they were jazzy, and grungy, and electro-influenced...and basically just out of their minds but awesome. Pioneers of a style of music that no one else even attempted.
Standout tracks: Circles, Rolling, Sugarfree Jazz, Moon Sammy, Janine.
Recommended album: Ruby Vroom.
10. T.V. On The Radio

Why? Because for several months I had the chorus to "Province" stuck in my head, but didn't know of the worlds (or melody) so was unable to convey to anyone what I was looking for. But I knew I loved it and wanted to find the band responsible. One fateful night last February it came on at a club and I asked my friend if he knew he it was. He did.
Sounds like a cross between: Yikes. Gnarles Barkley, Flaming Lips and Arcade Fire? With some really loud distorted guitars? Honestly, I have no idea how to describe these guys.
Standout tracks: Province, I Was a Lover, Playhouses, Wolf Like Me, Tonight.
Recommended album: Return From Cookie Mountain.

7 comments:
Soul Coughing's best album by far is 'Irresistible Bliss' the one with Super Bon Bon on it. Get it ASAP, and play it for chick you bring home, it's a closer.
This was a really tough one to pick a "recommended album" for. All three (El Oso included) are amazing, and it was basically just a toss up. Mostly, I think I just liked typing the word "Vroom."
why in the good name of fuck did you count down from 1-10.
this is the sexual equivalent of blowing your load and then taking your pants off.
Matty,
I will get my ears on as many tunes that these 10 bands have produced, save possibly the band that is a combo of bruce springstein and the bosstones. Not my style. HOWEVER, if there was one band that you would recommend me NOT stealing from a shared file program, what would it be? And why? (20 words or less)
In defense of The Hold Steady...they're fucking awesome. Don't let the Mighty, Mighty Bosstones comparison dissuade you, as the Hold Steady is 10 times the band the Bosstones ever were (or are, I don't know if they're still around).
"Boys and Girls in America" is possibly my favorite album from 2006.
Alex-
Critical reading skills, my friend. "Ten Bands/Artists Scott, Jim, Alex, Doug & Tad Should Start Listening To
(if they haven't already).
In alphabetical order."
No load blowing, just the alphabet.
Tad-
I would not recommend Bright Eyes. Not my style.
Post a Comment