Friday, December 21, 2007

Boner Bonanza

So, I'll be the first to admit that I'm not the most mature human being on the planet. However, I don't think that I'm in the minority when I say that hearing the word "boner," only brings to mind erect johnsons and makes me laugh like the baby in those life insurance commercials.
Some people out there refuse to admit that boner has become a dirty word and still use it in their everyday vocabulary to indicate a mistake or a comical error. Stop using the word like this, people! It makes other people uncomfortable and giggly. Not good for business.
Today I was in a meeting and someone managed to slip "boner" into a mini-monologue about a marketing plan. I literally had to pretend I was going to the bathroom and leave the room. When I was done laughing, I silently blamed the speaker for the inconvenience and still resent them for it. They didn't HAVE to use that word. I think they did it on purpose to single me out and it pisses me off (on a side note, later on in the very same meeting, someone referred to something as the best thing since "sliced breast." Luckily I was all giggled out at this point and managed to maintain my composure). How did this person get away with this?!? I don't drop dirty slang into my speech to see who erupts into laughter. Next week I'm going to try and use words like "titter," "shuttlecock" and "cunt-whistle" (okay so that's not really a word) in front of this cunning individual and see how THEY like it.
When I got back to my desk, I had to check out wikipedia to see just how widespread the word is, apart from it's dirty (but funny) uses. I'm glad no one stopped by my desk to see what I was up to when I had the wikipedia page for BONER up on my screen. Anyways, it turns out the word really has a lot of uses! Who knew!? It's a term used by the USDA to classify cattle... a knife used to remove bones from meat... even an informal term for the guy who drives the zamboni! "My dad works a second job as a boner at the ice rink on weekends." I was even reminded of the recurring character, Boner, from a childhood favorite television show called Growing Pains. How did they get that on TV back then?? I even came across this clip from an old Batman comic that makes the Joker seem way gayer than he ever has before:

I wonder what exactly the Joker's looking downwards at? Anyways, let's get one thing straight. I'm personally reclaiming "boner" as a dirty word.

5 comments:

A-Pop said...

hahahah dude 2 things....you mentioned "Boner" from Growing Pains and The Joker within two sentaces of each other...but did you know that a couple years ago there was a indie Batman shortfilm called "Batman: Endgame" or something like that and BONER from Growing Pains starred as the JOKER in that film.....i'll giveyou a minute to let that grade-A irony set in....

ok. comment two.

My favorite giggle moment has to be in Peggy Dyros class when she said something like: "dont you tweak my muffins" or "whyz everyone tryin to tweak my muffins"

A-Pop said...

i just wanted to re-iterate the fact that somehow you managed to mention Boner from Growing Pains and the Joker together somehow and NOT mention that he played the Joker.

thats fucking amazing. i need to sit down.

Anonymous said...

Looks like someone needs to get a life.

prof.shakespeare said...

okay, this isn't funny anymore. That photo of me in the classroom was snapped ages ago and and it's still making the rounds on the web. Is it soooo bad that I am a man and that I sometimes get spontaneous erections? I was nervous in front of all those students that day, especially those young ladies and I just wish someone would acknowledge my humanity. Please take it down, i've had so much crap for that photo and my friends think i'm pathetic. It's just not fair. It wasn't even a big deal until I grazed that young man with the lustrous black hair on the left in the photo.
I can't tell you how demeaned I felt to stumble on yet ANOTHER website that is capitalizing on my misfortune.
Also, I am NOT developmentally-delayed, contrary to any slander indicating otherwise. I am an esteemed professor.

prof.shakespeare said...

also, check out my excellent game walkthroughs on youtube.